HELP! Triple Chocolate Chunk Muffins, and they can be GF!

no, I am not a photographer... I guess I should pin that site on how to take
pictures of food! :)
Pinterest is one of the most addicting sites I think I have EVER come across!  I LOVE all the ideas I can get from it but found I spent a LOT of time on it.  I was inspired by a friend that told me she has to "earn" her time on it.  So, I thought that would be a great thing for me to do too.  I have to "earn" my time on it by doing at least 2 pins a week!  I was excited about Valentine's Day and used a couple of ideas making our breakfast look like this:
Here Lucy is showing you her heart shaped bacon!



And I made this for dessert that night.  It was GREAT!  
Butterfinger Pie 

Anyway, that is NOT what this post is about.  A few days ago we had some friends coming over for lunch and I wanted to make a good "healthier" dessert so I tried to make this:
Triple Chocolate Chunk Muffin
I was so excited that they were healthier than most chocolate muffins and I realized after reading the ingredients that it can easily be a GF recipe, yes, that's right, a gluten free recipe if you are sure to buy certified GF oats.  Then I read the directions and found that I blend the whole thing!  BLEND THE WHOLE THING!  How easy is that?  My kind of baking!!  At this point I was VERY excited to try them.  Well, all seemed to be going well until I got to the add 1 cup of hot water at the very end... wow! that sure made them liquidy.  Then it said to stir in half the chocolate chips??? I knew right away that was a big FAIL since they would all fall to the bottom.   Anyway, they came out looking like this:


The good thing is they tasted wonderful!  Spongy and moist, but totally caved in!  Luckily, my friends didn't care so much about the looks of it since they tasted so good.  But still...

So, to the point.  What did I do wrong?  As many of you know I am fairly new to baking and MUST follow a recipe (you will not see any recipes made by me on Pinterest anytime soon) so I need help in fixing recipes sometimes.  I am wondering if I should have omitted the water or maybe just put 1/2 cup of the water in?  What do you think?  I would really like to make these again but would also like them to be prettier. :)  Thanks in advance for all of you help!  Please comment below so I can try your suggestions next time!

Comments

  1. Did you use cream of tarter or vinegar? I would skip the cream of tarter all together and use the vinegar instead. Bump up the baking soda to 2 tsp. The vinegar reacts with the baking soda and makes it fluffy and raised. And use like 1/2 or 2/3c water instead of 1c. There is quite a bit of liquids with the egg, yogurt and applesauce already. Dont open the oven until the timer goes off...cakes dont do well with temperature changes. Hope this helps. :) Heather M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more tip...The texture should be like it is when you use boxes cake mix and add the oil, eggs and water. A bit runny, but not super runny. :) Heather M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last comment, i looked at this recipe again and it seems like she left out a flour of some sort. I mean, the splenda, cocoa and finely ground up oats are not going to be enough dry ingredients to balance out the amount of liquids. Hmmm. I think there needs to be more dry, like add 3/4 to 1 cup flour (all purpose or whole wheat pastry flour) and increase the baking soda slightly, and use vinegar, and possibly a bit less water. Should make them turn out better. Heather M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! These ideas are a huge help! I looked the recipe over like 5 times thinking there has got to be more flour or something! Well, I will try the vinegar and less water and see how it goes.... now I just need more cocoa! I hope it works better next time. They really were delicious just sad to look at. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Dark Days

"Mommy, Where's Baby Aimee?"